Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A rough week....

Last week Wednesday was a sad day. Early at work my sister, A, called to let me know that my brother, B's, mother-in-law had passed away the night before. Mrs. B was such a nice person--always smiling, always happy. She was a welcome face at any gathering. I was sad that I hadn't asked her more about her life because it wasn't until I read her obituary that I found out she and her husband (who preceded her in death 16 years to the day) had worked at the Octagon House which is one of my favorite landmarks near my parents' house. Although it wasn't completely unexpected, Mrs. B had inoperable cancer, it was still a shock to hear that she had passed.

But to make matters worse, less than an hour after my sister had called, Hawksbill called me to tell me my Aunt Mary had just called to let me know my Uncle Mike had passed away the night before. I actually hung up and called Hawksbill back to make sure I heard him correctly. Uncle Mike was so sweet--another happy face--always always smiling and laughing. He will truly be missed.

I spoke to my Aunt Mary on Friday, and she told me that when at the hospital on Tuesday, Uncle Mike told the doctors that his brother (who had died years before) came to him to tell him that it was his time to die. His brother said that Uncle Mike would have a massive heart attack and that he was coming to take him that day. Apparently, the doctors laughed him off and told him he wasn't going anywhere today...but then Uncle Mike laid down smiling, had a massive heart attack and died. Aunt Mary said he was so happy when he went because he truly believed he was going to a better place and she was happy for him.

Goodbye Mrs. B and Uncle Mike...you will be missed....

4 comments:

Hawksbill said...

I think, if you're going to die, Uncle Mike picked a good way to do it. Regardless of whether or not his dream was "real", having that dream probably made him feel a whole lot better.

I hope when my time comes that Audrey Hepburn visits me in a vision like she did with Richard Dreyfuss in "Always". I didn't really like that movie, but I liked her character in it.

Nothing says: "Everything will be all right" like Audrey Hepburn.

Hm... I just looked her up on IMDB and she was in a western with Bert Lancaster called "The Unforgiven" in 1960. I've never heard of that movie. We'll have to netflix it.

John said...

Barb, I'm so sorry for your losses ... My sincerest condolences to you & your family! I mislike death greatly these days ... Most unwelcome. Let me know if I do anything, like, um, copy some Clash CDs for you or something, I guess.

JD, "The Unforgiven" is on the Encore free Western movie channels constantly (yes, it's the one you're talking about, not the Clint Eastwood one). Don't waste a Netflix slot on it; just keep your eyes peeled or set your TiVo to catch it!

Hawksbill said...

Hm... I checked the Tivo listings and can't find "The Unforgiven". I'll have to keep looking periodically.

I do like the Audrey!

John said...

I swear I've seen it many times there! It always stops my channel surfing because I think it's the Clint Eastwood "Unforgiven," and, without fail, I stop surfing just long enough to think, "Oh, so they're showing Westerns made after 1951 now, eh?" and discover that they are not, in fact, showing Westerns made after 1951. Clint Eastwood is nowhere to be found.

Seen "Open Range" with Kevin Costner & Robert Duvall, by the way? Good movie!