Thursday, June 12, 2008

Potty Training Boot Camp Day One--Failed

So, anyways...here is another thrilling post about potty training...how exciting. I can hardly contain myself. Really. But Gosh! Darnit! Gwen is freaking 3 years old, quickly approaching 3.5, and the news announced an expected 5-8% increase in the price of diapers (on top of the already added $5 a box that happened after Christmas this year) and that girl needs to freaking pee/poo on the potty!!!!

I can't remember if it was last week, or just a few days ago, but I stumbled across this video of the "potty whisperer", a woman in Chicago who runs a little kid boot camp and claims she can potty train your child in one day...well..when you watch the whole thing, she actually says it may take up to three days, so today was day one of our own potty boot camp at home.

If you really don't want to watch the video (don't worry, I won't be hurt!) the idea is make it the kid's responsibility for their body. Don't ask them if they have to pee--tell them, "If you have to pee, you have to pee on the potty." If/when they have an accident, they have to clean it up (you help them initially, but remind them that it is their responsibility--along with cleaning up themselves, and changing into dry clothes.

Keep in mind, it is Thursday and I had to work, so Hawksbill basically set out to do this on his own today...I knew he was in for a fun day this morning as Gwen lay in a fetal position on her changing table crying that she didn't want to wear underwear....but before I left, she was in her underwear and all excited about potty training. Uh, huh.

Hawksbill spent pretty much all of today upstairs in the part of our house without carpeting watching Gwen pee her pants over and over again...she has mastered the part of cleaning herself up, putting her wet clothes in a bucket and cleaning up her mess on the floor, but that was it. My favorite was when he called at lunch time to say she pooped in her pants and wanted him to change her, but he told her it was her responsibility and that she had to do it herself...fun!! So, after she figured out how to get her soiled clothing off, and it was messy I hear, and after stepping in said mess and being told she had to clean it up herself...well...the day just went on.

I came home about 5:30 pm to a disgruntled Hawksbill who had already picked out a movie to go to tonight and left me in charge of boot camp which lasted until 7:30 pm tonight....Gwen had another 4 accidents (but happily took off her clothes, cleaned up her mess, and redressed herself...)

So, I don't know. Was it worth it? I really don't feel like we are any closer to potty training than we were yesterday. I have a load of totally pee soaked clothing and towels in the washer right now, and Hawksbill is somewhere at a movie. Gwen is in a diaper now--not because I am giving up, but because it is almost time for bed, and I am a realist about trying to let her sleep without a diaper tonight. I know she can hold it all night--she wakes up dry, but I have only had 1 time EVER that I convinced her to pee on the potty in the morning before she soaks the damn thing.

My hope is that maybe, just MAYBE, if Hawksbill has the patience to do this again tomorrow, that she will try to sit on the potty...that maybe she'll pee just one time...or a miracle will happen and she'll just decide to do it. If you know Gwen at all in person, you know she HAS to do everything herself--feed herself, dress herself, get things down from shelves herself, she'd probably try to peel her own apple if she could reach the knives, so the resistance to free herself from the evils of the diaper is beyond me.

On a slight side note, going back to the price of diapers...don't these diaper companies (and I mean YOU Kimberly-Clark) understand that raising the price of diapers only encourages more people to not want to use disposables EVER? It makes you want to use good old fashioned cotton diapers which in turn leads to the parents potty training their kids earlier...eliminating the NEED for disposable diapers..heh heh....and for those of us who never used cotton diapers...it only makes us that much more eager to not be a slave to the diaper genie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious. I feel your pain, although I am not feeling brave enough to start the "panties not pull-ups" project. My son seemed to know when he needed to go potty, even if he did have accidents. My daughter does not have a clue until she is actually pooping/peeing, and usually she asks to sit on the potty after she has already gone in the pull-up. Fun times.

Anonymous said...

I wish they had a potty training bootcamp in Seattle! I have simply failed in trying to do it myself with my twin 3 year-old boys!

TraumaMama said...

Feeling your pain. My son is turning 4, yes I said 4, in August and I am still having this issue. Every method from encouragement to tough loe has failed. At my wits ends. Pre-K starts in August and I may be stuck. Seriosuly need help!