Wednesday, August 27, 2008

End of Summer?

I haven't posted in a while, mostly because I have been waiting for Hawksbill to post his "Foot Foot Retreat '08" post, but since it hasn't happened yet, I will jump in here with an update on stuff.

Simon lost his first tooth--I cannot even begin to tell you how glad I was it came out on its own. My family has a history of baby teeth that will not budge (I still have one baby tooth molar, my mom has 2 and I know at least one brother has 1 baby tooth left!) My adult teeth pretty much all came in BEFORE the baby teeth fell out, so when Simon's bottom tooth seemed loose, I was so so glad it happened all by itself...(mostly because the boy has no tolerance for pain, and the thought of taking him to the dentist to pull it...well, we just won't go there.)

We went on a vacation with Hawksbill and the Foot Foot retreat--I won't spoil it for Hawksbill, but I am sure his version of the trip will be quite different from mine ;) That's ok, though, because he made up for it by taking us to Lakeport for the weekend a week later. It was nice out (I am loving this crazy cool August weather--who would have thought I'd be wearing a freaking jacket to work in August) and the water was nice...a bit rocky, but the fact that so many Petoskey stones were there for the picking, well..I was in rock heaven. Call me a geek, but I do love my Petoskey stones. We had found about 7-8 the week before at Foot Foot, but I am sure I brought home at least 30 from Lakeport.

And while we were at Lakeport, playing on their little playground, Hawksbill was pointing out a different style tent to me, when he said, "Hey, doesn't that look just like your brother, J?" Yes, J and his wife and kids were spending the weekend at the same campground. J called my sister, A, and her kids who came up later and we all hung out at the beach and toasted marshmallows, etc...fun for me--maybe not what Hawksbill wanted--running into my family on a trip, but it was a good weekend (IMO).

My other, sister, K, went to Chicago the same weekend and bought a doll for Gwen. I am only bringing this up because Gwen is still not potty trained. In fact, I think it is never going to happen now. Ever. The point of the doll was a gift if Gwen would just sit and pee on the potty ONCE!!! She won't go near the bathroom if you mention potty training, so I am trying my hardest to just not bring it up anymore. Gwen says she is going to do it when she is 4, and I think Hawksbill and I have come to the conclusion that using the potty has to be her idea now. The girl has an IRON WILL and even the mere mention of using the toilet sends her shrieking...so, the doll sits on a shelf and Gwen says she doesn't care. I am really really tired of changing diapers...especially on a kid who says, "I'm getting too big for this," every freaking time we change her diaper. She has won...I give up...maybe she'll just tell me she needs to go one day and it will happen, or maybe we'll all be in therapy when she is 12 and wearing Depends.

This is the last week before "school starts". Since I still work at a university, I still think about school starting...it still makes me nervous, yet, I have nothing to worry about here. Hawksbill is done with classes, there is no way in HELL I am taking any classes again, and Simon and Gwen will be doing school at home this fall. So, why the usual pre-fall anxiety has hit me again is beyond me...or maybe I am just crazy :) Or maybe it is the thought of trying to get into the freaking parking structure the first 2 weeks at the same time as 35,000 other people...

Hawksbill ordered Simon's school stuff for the fall, so we are waiting for it to arrive...we have things we'd like to do, but we'll wing it, too. Simon seems to be pretty good at letting us know what he likes to study, and what he doesn't so hopefully this will go well. I think last year and this summer did go well and am looking forward to what we will learn this year.

Until next time....

1 comment:

Housefairy said...

I adore Petosky stones. AND Lakeport.

Next year lets make a better effort to have the Foot Foot widows thing actually happen! This year totally blew but next year we should do something fab.