Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Tax Return = Games, Games, Games!!!

So, we got our tax return back the other day and allocated some of it as "fun money" for each of us to blow on anything we wanted. I, of course, spent my share on games. Board games, in this case. My shipment just arrived and I can't wait to try them out. Some of them are family games for me, Barb and Simon to enjoy now, and some are for when the kids are a bit older. And some of the games are for me... ones that I thought the guys would like also. All in all I got:

10 days in the USA, Arkadia, Aton, Blue Moon, Cartagena, Hera and Zeus, Lost Cities, Niagara, Odin's Ravens, Saint Petersburg, The Downfall of Pompeii and Zooloretto.

The other day I made a geeklist of all the games I'd like to get to have around the house for the kids (both for now and as they age a bit more. I selected these because a lot of them got good comments on that list.

Simon is really looking forward to Niagara. I borrowed it from Steve some months back and he really liked it and keeps asking when we'll get a copy. I also played Zooloretto at Steve's and I think Simon might like that one as well.

For our gaming group, I picked out Saint Petersburg, Downfall of Pompeii, Arkadia and Aton, unless there are only two players when any of the Kosmos games might be a good time.

Fun stuff. I can't wait to play 'em all!

Update:
Simon and I played two games of Niagara tonight and it went quite well. I thought I might have to simplify the rules a bit for him, but he did just fine and we were able to play with all rules as written. He doesn't really get the strategy yet, but he really does like the whole gem collecting aspect. But, he made me exchange the canoes for little paper stars he colored earlier and has been playing with all day. So, instead of canoes we were paddling stars up the Niagara river. Go figure. He says he can't wait to play more tomorrow. Woot!

2 comments:

John said...

Simon has good taste ... I can't wait to play Niagara again, too!

Hawksbill said...

I've been enjoying playing 2-player Niagara with the boy, but it really is a better game with more players.

We've played 4 2-player games of it so far and nobody has gone over the falls yet.

We've also tried out Zooloretto and Simon liked that one as well. But, it also is much better with more players.

Next time you're in town we'll make you play with us!