Friday, October 17, 2008

49 + Butterflies = I Love You

The above is the equation Gwen came up with the other night while Simon and I were working on his math. I am not sure that it is mathematically correct anywhere except Gwen-dimensional space, however, Hawksbill thought it would make a good blog entry title.

I haven't felt much like blogging lately. I am completely shocked that it is the middle of October already. Again, I am still stuck in August waiting for school to start for Hawksbill. This whole lack of going to college for one of us is very strange and confusing to me. Sure, I am at the university all the time, but not taking or teaching any classes. It feels like something is missing. However, right now I wouldn't be caught dead taking a class for a grade. No thanks.

I am afraid Hawksbill and I seem to see each other even less now that he is finished with his schooling. Now I work days and he works late afternoons/early evenings and some Saturdays...so we usually see each other on Sunday at least. Plus trying to coordinate working with Simon and Gwen with their studies or what not, not to mention seeing family or friends. I have been trying to drive up to my parents' house about once a week while we prepare for their 50th anniversary this year.

Simon is still plugging away with his math homework. He really likes multiplication. He wasn't so thrilled with subtracting two 3-digit numbers where you had to borrow something in order to do the problem. He seems to understand it except he gets very frustrated subtracting when the top numbers had zeros in them. All in good time.

Simon also decided on his own he wanted to learn cursive. We had no plans to even bring this up except Simon loves to string his letters together so we told him there was a special way of writing where you automatically connect the letters and he was hooked. Of course, I couldn't remember how to write all the capital cursive letters (seriously-I have always hated that capital Q that looks like a weird 2) so we found the letters online and he has been teaching himself how to write this way.

Today was arts and crafts day when I got home. I thought it would be fun to decorate the front window for Halloween so we drew and cut out pumpkins, bats, ghosts, witches, spiders and one black cat. The window is pretty well covered now and the kids had fun.

Two weeks until Halloween, my favorite holiday!! Hopefully this weekend we can start putting together the Saturn Costume for Simon. My artist sister gave me some ideas for putting one together, so if our large balloon with paper mache doesn't work, we'll give some other ideas a try.

Until next time....

3 comments:

John said...

Hey, Barb--

When I was in about 3rd grade, a kid came to school on Halloween dressed as a giant pumpking, and the costume was made with that large balloon-paper mache' method. It looked good!

Of course, that didn't stop us from beating the tar out of the kid on account of his green tights.

Just kidding. ;)

Barbnocity said...

Cool--now I just have to get my lazy butt to the store so we can try to make this...we only have 1 week left!!

Barb

Barbnocity said...

Cool--now I just have to get my lazy butt to the store so we can try to make this...we only have 1 week left!!

Barb