Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Birthday, Simon!!!

Simon is 7 years old today!! Just a lazy family weekend watching videos, bad tv, and eating cake and ice cream! Simon opened his presents today and received more legos (shocking!), a transformer toy, some videos and a video game, some books...

I have to post pictures again sometime soon, but JD's broken arm post summed it up with how the kids look right now :) Gwen's hair has been brushed, however....so she doesn't look quite so feral.

On an unrelated note. No.Gwen.Is.NOT.Potty.Trained.Yet. I offer $200 cash to the first person who can train her -- even if it takes 6 more months. I can't take this anymore. I have yet to hear an idea that we haven't tried yet (except paper training her like a dog or duct taping her to the toilet...I just can't bring myself to do that.) Yes, we have bribed, threatened, taken things away, tried to reason with her,tried being stern with her, tried putting her hand in warm water as she sat there, stickers, charts, potty boot camp, treats (m&m's, twizzlers, pop, etc), money for her bank, take away her allowance, potty videos, potty books, take treats away, beg, pleaded, cried, picked out cool undies, had her wear undies and pee in them, have her wear undies under diapers and let her pee in them, keep her in wet undies, make her wear wet pants, pullups, let her run around with a n*ked butt, blah blah blah blah blah....I give up...seriously...if you have an idea that does not involve duct tape or beating the child, I am all ears. Somebody call Nanny 911--I don't even care if she calls me a bad parent--if SHE can potty train Gwen, I'll take all the verbal abuse that she can throw my way...and I don't even watch that bloody show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing I can think of is to not even mention potty training for a solid month, or even two... don't even say words like "toilet" or "potty" if you can help it, just act like you're more than happy to change diapers. With my kids, because they are extremely stubborn, sometimes I have to do the nigh impossible and just bite my tongue for a good length of time, and try not to show even the least bit of annoyance, and let them have their way. After that, they drop it, as if they've proven their point. This is extremely frustrating but sometimes my kids are just resisting me for the sake of resisting... just to show their independence... and the only thing to do is give up and give in. Pretty counter-intuitive advice for American parents, but that's my own experience. As nothing else is working, I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Hawksbill said...

Ultimately, I think you're right.

We have tried that before, just relaxing and trying not to mention it and allowing it to be her decision. I think we even kept it up for 3-4 weeks. But then, we'd get frustrated and read some sort of advice that recommended one manner or other of pleading, bargaining or negotiating. Then we'd give in and try to influence her again.

I've never met anyone with such a super human stubborn streak as my lovely daughter. It's a good thing we like her a lot! :)

But, you've inspired me to try the Taoist method of potty training again. It's an approach I try to adopt in most other areas of life, including our homeschool. I should keep it up in this case too.