Sunday, February 17, 2008

Mama! Mia! Oh! My!

I cannot even BEGIN to say how much fun I had last night. A friend of mine from high school is starring in the touring Mama! Mia! show and a bunch of old high school buddies and I got together to see the show last night. Oh, it was so much fun!

First we met at my friend, R's, house to go to dinner. About half of us met for dinner before the show and went to Bastone's in Royal Oak which I have never heard of before, nor had I ever even noticed even though it is right on Main Street. The food was amazing...I think R described it best as a full menu of "comfort food".

Before the show we met our friend, S, in the lobby of the Fisher Theater. He is the man with glasses in the back row of this photo--S is playing the role of Sam Carmicheal, who is the "main" potential father in the show. If you don't know the story line of Mama! Mia!, basically, Sophia is a 20-year old woman about to get married on a Greek island. She was raised by a single mother never knowing who her father was. Before the show begins, Sophia finds her mother's diary from the late 1970's, and comes to the conclusion that her father must be one of 3 men, so she invites all of them to her upcoming wedding. Hilarity results as the 3 men discover why they have been invited to the wedding. And, oh yeah...there is a lot of ABBA music.



S invited us on stage after the show to see what goes on backstage and for some photo ops in the Mama! Mia! scenery. No, this isn't the cast--this is everyone who came to see S. S is front and center in the dark and light gray sweater...that's me in the lavender sweater in front on the right.


Oh, it was like a Marching Band Reunion 19 years later...that reminds me of the time, when we were at band camp!!!

Um, er...actually it DOES remind me of the time...we were at band camp...um...yeah...I was in band.

All and all, a wonderful night. :)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

OK - first, Happy Birthday Simon!! I swear I rememebr your email the day after he was born -- all freaked out about burst blood vessels in your eyes:) The things I remember!!

Also -- I adored Mama Mia. I have never laughed like that in a show in my life. I would see it again and again. And you look terrific -- and tiny. I haven't seen a pic of you in ages!

Sounds like a great time. Oh and thanks to Hawksbill for his comment on my blog. My friend said she was looking for things just like those books.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had so much fun! I knew you would. Did you get his autograph (blush, blush)?