Thursday, February 28, 2008

Vacation, all I ever wanted...

It is Thursday, the 28th, (almost the 29th) and my vacation is almost over. Hawksbill has Spring Break this week, so I decided I should use some of my vacation time and take the week off with him. We have and had no plans this week. Just to not work, not think, be couch potatoes, that was it. My kind of vacation :)

I have to put in a little note for my Aunt Mary. She is having a rough week again. Last Saturday, my Aunt Lottie (her sister) was laid to rest. After she came home from the funeral, she received a call--her sister-in-law, (who was her late husband's (Uncle Mike's) twin sister) died on Saturday. Although I did not know this woman, I did go to her viewing Tuesday night. My poor Aunt Mary--in only 4 months, she has lost her husband, her sister and her sister-in-law. So, here is wishing my Aunt Mary some good luck for this year. She could use it.

An interesting fact (to me) about my Uncle Mike and his twin sister--apparently they were born on different days--he was born just before midnight on October 23rd, and she was born just after midnight on the 24th. I wonder how often twins are born on different days (or better yet, different years straddling December 31st and January 1st?)

Gwen is getting over the flu--or at least a really bad cold. She has been extremely needy, clingy, whiny, shrieky all week long. I can't move without carrying her like a baby with me. I feel like I should just get a sling or a backpack and keep her attached to me since I do not seem to have much choice this week. Do they make slings for 36-lb 3 year olds? Heh...

Speaking of weight, Simon has been watching his weight on the scale lately and I didn't know why until he ran to us all excited this week that he now weighs 40 lbs! ha ha...my 6 year old is JUST NOW hitting the 40 lb mark. He is excited because we told him he had to be 4 years, 40 inches tall, and 40 lbs before we would let him move to a booster instead of his car seat...he hit the other two goals two years ago, but my skinny, picky eater, he now just weighs in at 40 lbs (um, fully clothed that is)...which brings me to another topic...

Well child visits: Ok--is it just me, or are well child visits just a way for doctors to make you paranoid about your healthy kid? First off, in the last couple of years, I have started waiting until late March, early April to drag my kids in for this type of visit. Reason? January and February babies = flu season at the doctor's office. So, why would I want to drag my healthy kid into the doctor's office where everyone is hacking and coughing up the flu, to tell me Simon is small, and Gwen is big, so maybe we should stress us out about why Simon is so small (but perfectly healthy) and then let them catch the flu from all the sick people? I don't understand it. So, I am waiting. I guess I could have brought Gwen in for her cold/flu, but years ago I gave up going to the doctor when I had a cold/flu (unless it lasted longer than a full week) because it really grated on me that I would be home taking Tylenol and Robitussin (sp?) and go in to the doctor to be told to take Tylenol and Robitussin and that will be a $30 copay. So, sorry...Doctors I respect you, but I don't want to bring my kids in during flu season for the well child visit so don't yell at me for being 2-3 months late with it, and yes I know Simon is skinny! :)

Simon has found a new addiction this week: Scooby Doo. Ah, good old Scooby--it has been years since I watched that show, and Hawksbill decided split the cost with Simon and buy the first 25 episodes of the original show. I would enjoy it more, if it wasn't for those meddling kids! Just kidding-- please...I love Scooby Doo, too, and am glad they bought some of the original episodes instead of that late 70's early 80's crap with Scrappy Doo...not into that.

Even though it is Spring Break, Hawksbill will still go to his internship tomorrow so I will find something to do all day with the kiddos...if Gwen was 100% better and it was a little warmer, I would actually like to go to the zoo. I have always wanted to go to the zoo in the winter...I don't know why...I guess I thought it might be fun. We still have a lot of snow on the ground from Tuesday--I think I mentioned before it snows every freaking Tuesday--we finally got some packing snow and made a snowman.

Note: Might be considered a movie spoiler, so do not read if you want to see the BEST PICTURE winner and haven't already seen it: Hawksbill and I got to go out on a date tonight!! Woo hoo!! I think the last time we got to go out, just the two of us, was sometime last summer? It has been a while. We went out for Korean food and decided that we "couldn't lose" by going to see the Oscar Winning Best Picture: No Country for Old Men, by the Coen Brothers. How could we lose, right? We LOVE the Coen brothers...but, um, well...this movie sucked. OK--wait, let me give it some credit--the first 1 hour and 40 minutes were pretty darn good--I was pretty darn happy, and then something changed that. And if you saw the movie and loved it--good for you, because I still think it sucked and should never have won an Oscar for Best Picture. No way. Oh, and don't even go there with some deep meaning intellectual "REAL LIFE" bullsh*t. It sucked. They ruined it. It could have rocked and it didn't. This movie had amazing potential and they f*cked it up. So, screw you, Coen brothers!! I want my money back--and you should have to give back your Oscar because you didn't deserve it for this one!!! Losers!! I am going to go watch Raisin Arizona, Fargo, Blood Simple and Millers Crossing now and just weep for you. I might even watch The Big Lebowski!!! But you guys owe me something better than what you gave me tonight. I mean, seriously...I get to go out on a date with Hawksbill MAYBE 2-3 times per YEAR (if I am lucky) and I wanted a good movie, and you spoiled it for me. The least you could do is send me some ice cream. B*st*rds!! Or better yet--you need to COME OVER to MY HOUSE and babysit for me so we can go and see Juno. So, someone PLEASE pass the word on to the Coen brothers--they owe me a night of babysitting so I can see a GOOD MOVIE!

Well, it is February 29th and I should log off now. Thank you for letting me get that out of my system. I'll be seeing ya!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a week off. You really needed it. Thanks for the review on the movie. I won't waste my time, sounds dreadful!

Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry I am always late commenting on your posts--

The last time anyone in my family saw a doctor was when Tristan (now 3 1/2) was 11 months. I consider myself responsible for my family's health, and we don't "do" mainstream medicine except in cases of emergency (e.g. blunt trauma of some kind). Sometimes I wish we could get a lab test for something (like my iron levels, as I am probably still anemic; or my kids' mercury levels, given my fillings) but it is not worth exposing ourselves to the capitalist medical system. They are out to "bring you in" on some charge or another. Meanwhile there is a nutritional supplement for everything, even a sprained back, depression, insomnia, or allergies (for allergies try stinging nettle, works better than Claritin). So... I guess that provides some perspective...?

I hope to see "Vantage Point" in the theaters, it looks like one of those rare good action flicks, and the cinematography in the trailer reminds me of The Bourne Identity. As for Netflix or rental or downloaded films, have you guys seen "The Dinner Game" (French, with subtitles)? It's hilarious.

Have a nice weekend!