Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Two posts in one day

You can tell I am home sick :)

I forgot I wanted to post about this, but it is mostly so a year from now I can re-read THIS post and say, "Oh, what was I so worried about!" Yes, Gwen is now 3 years and almost 2 months old and no closer to potty trained than the day she was born. I am getting grief over this because, "She is a girl and they always train so easily!! She'll be out of diapers before her 3rd birthday!" Yes, well, that didn't happen.

I know Simon was almost 4 (yes, 4) before he was potty trained...and I know I am not the only mother on the planet with a 3-year old daughter who isn't potty trained, but I just dread doing this whole thing again. We went out and bought "big girl underwear" and a new potty seat a few weeks ago, which resulted in Gwen announcing she was a big girl and didn't wear diapers anymore. That lasted about 3 hours--the amount of time she held it before she peed her pants, freaked out and said she wanted a diaper again.

She will sit on the toilet about once a week now and do nothing. She can hold it ALL NIGHT long and sometimes even an additional 2-3 hours after she wakes up. She tells me when she needs a new diaper, and you always know when she has to do #2 because she hides somewhere and shouts, "Don't look at me!"

So, why is she not potty trained? Is it because I am too tired and lazy? Probably. I am too tired right now, that is for sure. I was hoping she'd be trained by this summer so we could go camping without having to drag 500 diapers with us, but I doubt we'll be so lucky.

So, the point of this post is just to vent about the lack of potty training that is going on here...the fact that diapers went up about $5 a box and she has to wear a size 6 diaper...which means you get about 12 in a box for $40 now...we even bought the cheapo brand this time which reminded me why we stopped buying the no-name brand--they leak like crazy and do not come in a size 6.

Anyway...my hope is that 1 year from now, I will read this, and will not have a single diaper in my house. The diaper genie and changing table will be things of the past, and I will never have to change another diaper again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My theory on potty training is, if it's not easy then they're not ready.

Also I can recommend bribery (in our case, M&Ms).

Anyway, once they're potty trained they want to visit every public restroom that crosses their path, and you wind up constantly trying to hold them over the giant-sized public toilet while simultaneously retrieving TP. Oh, and distracting them so they don't discuss their bodily functions in a booming voice. No need to be in a hurry to get to THAT phase, imho!!

Barbnocity said...

You are probably right, but I still feel guilty (or maybe annoyed) that she isn't potty trained. OH, we definitely are bribing her...she wants pennies, though.

The funny thing is, I didn't even bring up potty training to her yesterday, and after I wrote this she went on the potty twice, which she hasn't done since well before Christmas last year.

Yes, I am not looking forward to the public toilet phase. I think it is easier with Simon because, well, obviously #1 is easier and he is deathly afraid of doing #2 in a public restroom and avoids it at all costs....heh TMI I am sure....