Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wednesday, March something or other

I am home sick today. Well, I work from home Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but I have some horrible throat/nose/cold/ache thing going on...it was bad enough yesterday for me to go into the doctor, only to be told that I didn't look that bad and take over the counter stuff. Does it make anyone else mad when you wake up in so much pain you cannot even talk, your abs and back hurt from coughing so much, and the dr says, "Oh, you look fine." Thanks...this is why I almost never go to the dr anymore...unless I am in extreme pain (like yesterday). Lot of good that did...I thought for sure I had strep throat, but I won't know that until tomorrow. Probably not--probably just a cold...from hell.

Simon is forcing me to watch every episode of Star Wars...yesterday we watched Episodes I, III, and V, (the odds) and so far today we have watched Episode II. I imagine we'll watch the IV and VI when we finish this one....I like the original movies from the 70's but do I even have to comment on the new movies?

Simon is plugging away with his schooling. I had to explain away homeschooling to the new dr and the rest of the office staff yesterday which I wasn't in the mood for. The question I have been getting a lot lately, and yesterday was no exception, was what "state standards and tests" did I have to put my kids through in order to homeschool. As usual, I got the usual looks of horror when I said I didn't have to do anything in the State of Michigan while homeschooling... I just had this debate with some coworkers last week who don't even KNOW that I am homeschooling and was surprised by the ones who said, "Why should the state decide what your kids need to know." More importantly, why should your kids have to study and memorize a bunch of stuff they are going to forget the minute after they take a test because it is boring and they aren't interested in it.

The conversation on homeschooling continued yesterday when a physician's assistant asked Simon, "Don't you want to go to school so you can have lots of friends?" Yes, I thought. I had SO many friends in school. Note sarcasm here. Not that I would expect my kids to be social outcasts like I was, but it tends to run in my family. I was then asked if I was doing the homeschooling (as opposed to Hawksbill) as it seems like that is what people think--it is the mom's responsibility or something...but no, I said we were both teaching him. I don't know why this question bugs me so much. As if only one person should be doing this, the mom only, the certified teacher only, I don't know...it just kind of irks me. I should have been more polite or more excited while describing homeschooling, but I was tired, sick and feeling a bit defensive yesterday and wasn't in the mood for the list of usual homeschooling questions so I made some excuse about not feeling well (ha!) and left.

Simon has been learning a lot of Spanish words lately. He was mad that the Spanish word for "no," is "no," because it isn't different. We were reading some book the other day and I said to Simon, "I wonder what the Spanish word for 'snake' is?" and he replied, "Uh, mommy...it's 'culebra'." I had to look it up because I didn't believe him and he was right!! I had 2 years of high school Spanish, and three semesters of college Spanish and I might remember how to count to five yet my kids know more Spanish than I do after watching Dora or reading books they find laying around.

Hawksbill is at school today. His afternoon class was canceled, but he is staying later to do homework. I have a lot of work I should be doing, but I officially called in sick again this morning. I am so tired I can't think straight, but hopefully this will pass by tomorrow.

This weekend is Easter, but Hawksbill will most likely go to Ann Arbor to study so I imagine I will take the kids to my parents' house on Sunday. I used to love Easter, but I am really not in the mood for it this year. Maybe because it is so early--March 23rd?? It just doesn't feel like a Spring holiday should be taking place so early in March. The Easter bunny still comes to our house, but I don't know if he wants to hide eggs this year...ah, we'll see. Maybe I am just grumpy since I am sick.

My found money project is going well this year. I know I started the project later last year, but I have already found more money than all of last year in these past 3 months. I have even had to pass up some potential found money...I am hit or miss and the drive through...I saw about 5 pennies on the ground yesterday, but decided to pass since I was sick and there were about 5 cars behind me in line...but if there had been some silver coins, I would have gone for it :) Yes, I admit, I will open my door at the drive through and pick up coins under the drive through window. I never would have done something like that before, but I found almost $2.00 this year in one stop by a fast food restaurant. Yes, I am a nerd or geek or freak, but hey, if you don't want your quarters, I will gladly take them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The line "Don't you want to go to school so you can have lots of friends?" is the sort of comment that would keep me mentally occupied for days, thinking up ever more snide come-backs. Argh!

Hope you are starting to feel better.

Sgt Howie said...

I'm just starting to realize how widespread the ignorance about homeschooling is. The PA's comment makes me really angry too. Way to undermine your patient's parenting!

Get well soon!