Monday, December 01, 2008

Happy 50th Anniversary

Thursday, November 27, 2008 was my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. In true Catholic fashion, they had 8 children. In fact, we like to say, "Our parents are so Catholic, their names are 'Mary and Joseph'". Um....Actually, that isn't a joke...those are their real names.....all of us kiddos are named after saints, of course.

Some fun facts on my family (since I like numbers)....since my mom had 8 children, that means she was pregnant for 72 months, or 6 years of her life. There are 5 boys and 3 girls in my family --all 5 boys came first, followed by the 3 girls (I was the 7th child born). My oldest sister turned 40, 2 days before my parents' anniversary which means they had 6 of their 8 children before their 10th anniversary. In fact, my mom had 5 boys before she was 30. I have a new appreciation for her having so many kids after watching 5 children last weekend as a present for my sister's birthday. {{Shudder}}

My 3rd brother was born in a hospital which is now a jail (so he likes to say he was born in jail). My older sister was an "accidental" home birth (and the only home birth). It just happened that way. My mom was also pretty shocked to have a girl...she figured after 5 boys that was all she was having....

My dad was born in '36 and turned 72 this year. I was born in '72, so I will be turning 36 before the end of the month. Also, my dad and I were both born the year of the Rat. I am sure plenty will say that is appropriate for both of us....My mom was born on the exact date that Amelia Earhart went missing. I'll make you look that date up. :)

My parents were actually married on Thanksgiving Day in 1958, and their 50th anniversary was also Thanksgiving Day, 2008. (Yes, they served turkey at their wedding--we had our party this year on Saturday so we opted to not have turkey that day).

At my parents' 25th wedding anniversary, my oldest sibling, J, announced his engagement to T and they will be celebrating their 25th anniversary next September. At my parents' 50th anniversary last week, my youngest sibling, K, announced her engagement to M. They will be married next September (actual date pending--but should be close to exactly 25 years after my oldest sibling was married).

All of my siblings still live in the metro Detroit area, which is a pretty amazing feat considering the economy around here. 4 of my brothers work for the auto industry (one for Ford, one for GM, one for Chrysler and one for Delphi). Keep your fingers crossed for all of them (and the rest of us working in this area!!!) My dad worked for Ford Tractor for his entire career before taking early retirement in 1987.

I am sure I could come up with a lot more, but I don't know who (besides me) would be interested...so Happy Golden Anniversary, Mom and Dad!!!

2 comments:

Charm Bracelet said...

Love the wedding picture!!

Sgt Howie said...

The pic is a classic, and the resemblance to your mom is undeniable.