Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Back in the Swing of Things

Winter semester '08 is upon us, and so is another semester of homeschooling. Simon really seems to like the new math books we bought him, and I have to admit I like them a lot better, too. It seems like they have a better variety of problems, plus more colorful diagrams, and it seems a lot less repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in practice, but sometimes you need a freaking break. How many times days can you spend adding up the same two single digit numbers before you say, "Enough!"

Hawksbill and I (mostly Hawksbill) have been reading a lot of "Once upon a time" tales and now some Greek mythology stories to Simon at night, which he really seems to like. Gwen still likes reading a billion board books at night followed by singing her 5-6 songs.

Hawksbill is now into his second full week of this semester, too, and can I tell you how happy I am that we do not have to drag the kids around on a baby/car swap this semester? I don't know why it always takes 45 minutes to get them ready and into the car, but we don't have to do that due to one less class for Hawksbill, and our schedule allowing us to avoid that dreaded swap. I mentioned this to a relative (who knows we are homeschooling) who said to me, "Oh, just wait until next fall when you have to do this every day when they are in school!" I didn't say anything because I didn't want to get into a big family discussion about homeschooling that day. However, when this same, well-meaning, relative called me this morning to let me know, "I needed to register Simon NOW for school in the fall because if I don't, the state won't even know he exists and he can't go to school!!!" I reminded her that we were homeschooling in the fall, to which they added, "Well, in case you change your mind, you really should register Simon now."

This was followed by another light-hearted, "I don't know how you could stand homeschooling--I could never do it--I can't wait to send MY kids to school and get them out of my hair!" I responded, "That's too bad--I want to spend every possible precious moment with my kids, and I just wish I had even more time with them." Perhaps that wasn't very nice of me, but it is true, and sometimes I just blurt out what I am really thinking rather than bite my tongue every single time someone says something to me about not wanting to spend time with their kids. Oh, please--don't get me wrong--everyone's kids drive them batty once in a while--everyone needs a break--but I still want to be with mine more time than I am not.

It is like a very nice post on my friend Housefairy's blog recently about trusting yourself and doing what is right for YOUR OWN family. You know, I really don't care how other people are raising their kids or living their lives, but I do care about my family. You take the advice and ideas you like and use them, and you ignore the advice and junk you don't need.

My "found money" project has gotten off to an ok start this year. I think I have 44 cents now. I am trying to get Simon and Gwen into this, too, but so far they don't care (except when it comes to the time to spend the found money-ha!)

Happy New Year, everyone, and I hope the new year is treating you all just fine!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"That's too bad--I want to spend every possible precious moment with my kids, and I just wish I had even more time with them."

To that I can only say me too, me too!.

An empty-classroom Dad still going through withdrawal, that's me.

KNOW that you are correct on this one. That time is soooo precious!

Barbnocity said...

Thanks--I am wondering how Little Nut is doing?

Will she write a post about her latest school year?

:) Barb

Anonymous said...

NutLittle's doing very well.

A blog entry? Probably not. :(

She was working on one. It languishes in the draft folder. I have dropped several hints.

Blogs are old-hat to a 12 year old, I guess. Oh well ...

Barbnocity said...

Maybe she can text me then! Ha ha...that is my little joke because I don't think I could text a message to save my life (actually, more like, I would rather speak to someone than receive a phone text--I am definitely getting old :)

Barb :)

Housefairy said...

Thanks for liking that entry...what new math are you using?

Hawksbill said...

We copied you and we're using Singapore. We were using Saxon, but it was SO, SO, SO repetitive we were all getting annoyed by it.

Singapore rocks though. Simon likes it much more. Sometimes we go a few days without doing any math, but then some days he'll do six lessons in a row. He really likes division and fractions. We're using Singapore math 1.