Saturday, September 08, 2007

Feeling Lucky

Today, I found my first actual dollar bill on the street this year for our *found money* project--woo hoo!! I found another couple of coins today, too, which brings us up to a whopping $5.46. I tell you, campus is a great place to find money. People have no respect for dropped pennies--especially in the student center. You'd think with college tuition up another 10% this year, no one would let a coin pass them by and everyone would be fighting for the pop bottles on campus, too. (I still can't get over how many people still throw out pop cans and bottles when you get 10 cents back in this state. TEN CENTS!!!)

I was going to wait until the end of the year to spend the *found money*, but Simon found a space video about the planets he wanted from Amazon a week ago and so I pooled my *found money* coins along with our coin jar in the kitchen which was overflowing with pennies and turned them into the local Coinstar machine. The last time I used Coinstar to rid myself of $15 worth of pennies, I noticed they now have the option to turn your coins into e-certificates which doesn't cost you the 8.9 cents per dollar of coins counted. Since we buy so much from Amazon, I thought that would be a great way to find enough money to buy Simon the $12 video he wanted. The biggest plus is since I didn't have to pay the fee to use the machine, I also didn't spend all afternoon digging out every last quarter, dime and nickel from my coin jar. Excellent....

Also, while at work today, I accidentally stumbled across the 30th annual Dally in the Alley festival. Hawksbill and I used to live in an apartment that is in the alley they hold this festival every year, so I felt kind of nostalgic going to the Dally and seeing the place I spent my years as an undergrad. The last time I went to the Dally was probably 10 years ago, but I heard the music and smelled the excellent food and wandered over there after work today. Although tempted, I didn't buy anything other than a couple samosa to eat. The last time I went to the festival, it was mostly contained within the alley between W. Hancock and Forest, but this year the Dally was three times the size covering the both streets and the alley in between, plus a little bit of Second St.--it may have even been larger, but I didn't stay very long as I wanted to get home since I was by myself and I would rather be home with Hawksbill and the kiddos :)

No comments: