Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Gosh darn it all

This summer we decided to not buy any flowers from the nursery to save water, money, time, etc. We did plant a few flowers that were leftovers from neighbors and my sister, but other than that, we did not buy anything but a pack of sunflower seeds.

I love sunflowers. Sunflowers and daisies are my absolute favorite flowers, so I thought Simon and I could give a try and see what we could grow. We planted a whole package of sunflowers in a sunny spot, we watered everyday and nothing. Nothing. Nothing...until one sunflower plant (or so I hoped) started to grow. Oh, we took care of that sunflower--we waited, we weeded, we watered. Then a storm came and knocked it over, but the sunflower wasn't giving up so easily--so we kept watering and waiting and last week I could see the yellow petals JUST getting ready to open. I went out the next day in hopes to take a picture of our one lone sunflower trying to show its stuff and ...and...IT WAS GONE. Some freaking animal ate the head off our sunflower :(

There are a couple more *buds* on the plant, but I don't know how to spare them the same fate as the original. Sigh...maybe next year we will have flowers again.

1 comment:

Sgt Howie said...

I love sunflowers too. I planted a couple of packets of seeds this year. Either nothing came of them or they were quickly dispatched by the birds who took out our lettuce patch.