Thursday, September 06, 2007

Settling In

This is the first week of school for Hawksbill, and we are starting to settle into our schedules. Hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be routine, but for now, we are starting to get used to who is supposed to be where at what time so that someone is home with Simon and Gwen at all times. We have to do two baby swaps this year as opposed to one last year while in transit to work or school, but we'll manage, right? I think the best part is that Hawksbill only has to drive to Ann Arbor two days a week instead of four, which will save gas, time, and hopefully a little sanity this year.

Since I am going to be working on Saturdays again this semester, I have taken Friday as my *off* day and I am trying to plan some kind of *field trip* each week so that I will force myself to NOT work an extra day each week (like last year!!!), plus get the kiddos out of the house to have some fun (I hope). Simon said he wants to go bowling tomorrow, and it looks like a local bowling alley has open bowl starting at 11:00 am so I am going to try to take the kids there tomorrow. I REALLY wanted to go to the zoo since this is the first week of public school and I figured it would be pretty empty this week, but it wouldn't be fun if Simon and Gwen didn't actually want to go there. So, fingers crossed on the bowling tomorrow. I think my high score is about a 36, so I am sure the kids won't have too hard a time beating me. :)

We are still *winging it* for our 3rd week of homeschool. Simon has agreed to do one math worksheet a day as long as we do them in order--ha! He likes doing things in order, and he won't bend on that one. We also filled in a calendar today for September. As Simon wrote each number for the 30 days, he started making them squiggly or with dots or added shapes for the numbers to sit on, and I couldn't help but think if he was in regular kindergarten there might (but not necessarily) be some well meaning teacher to tell him he was "doing it wrong" and needed to write his numbers properly. Maybe I am flashing back to my own horrible kindergarten experience, but still, I like knowing exactly what he is doing in school. Mostly today he is doing things on his own--he has been playing with his foam letters making words, and then putting them up on his white board with the magnet letters. Right now he is making words with Playdoh and making up songs about the words. I am so glad he is home with me now :)

On another note, Simon and Gwen have been playing together a lot better lately. Not they were every terrible playmates, but now they are going on quests together to find Pythagoras (our little cat). I like how Simon and Gwen pronounce it, "Purrthagoras." They are playing for hours at a time now without hitting or shrieking or someone screaming, "Gwen is in my room touching my stuff!!" or "Simon hurt my feelings!!". We still have quiet time where Gwen takes a nap (Gwen--you rock!!) and Simon usually plays with toys or something. If I didn't have so much work to do today, I would let him play with his new solar system game/simulator thing on the computer. Maybe later...

Here's wishing Hawksbill is having a pleasant first day of classes :)

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Can I tell you how jealous I am about the playing nicely thing. I call my kids the bicker twins. Tess knows EXACTLY how to get Sam's goat and does it all.day.long. And he just goes apeshit:)

Oh and the princess thing -- get that here as well. We have never seen a princess video -- but she adores them all, knows all of their names and their costumes. I sing this song to her about bikes -- and although she has a green dinosaur bike (ahem, hand me down), she INSISTS I change the words to "Tess has a pink bike with princesses on the wheels." Yesterday she said she wanted a tractor and a helicopter for Christmas -- as long as they're pink.

Sgt Howie said...

I want to hear more about your kindergarten experience. I didn't go to one either and I've always been a little in the dark about what goes on there.

Barbnocity said...

Hi, Sgt. Howie...I may have to relate my kindergarten experience sometime in real life...you guys are having a Halloween cookie exchange, right right????? :)

But, in a nutshell, having 5 older brothers to tell you that you would get shots every day (and believing them), being the kid who cried every day, having a mean permanent substitute who should NEVER have been a kindergarten teacher (while our real teacher was dying of cancer) didn't exactly make for a happy kindergarten experience.

Sgt Howie said...

Holy cow! Yeah, we do have to talk about that in person.

Halloween cookie exchange sounds like an excellent idea- more on that soon.