Sunday, November 11, 2007

Cryptography for Kindergarteners

This is just a request for information here because I keep forgetting to ask people in real life, so I am just going to post this on the blog hoping the 5-6 people who read it occasionally can help. :) Does anyone know where to buy some books with little code breaking puzzles for little kids? Simon received a book like this as a gift with little codes (you know, A=1, B=2, etc. or shapes in place of letters, etc) and he really really loves to do these puzzles, but I can't find them anywhere.

I have tried Target, Meijer, Barnes and Nobles, Borders, K-mart, Kroger, Toys R Us, and a few other random grocery stores, but I can't seem to find any books like this anywhere. The one book he has is just a coloring book that has these types of *code* puzzles in it, but it also has some *find the hidden picture* and other little puzzles, but I can't seem to find any books that have these particular secret code problems in it and he really likes them. Hawksbill found some individual sheets like these on PBS kids the other day, but it was only 1-2 pages.

So, anyway...if anyone has seen something like this in a store or online or has any other search suggestions for finding this type of puzzle book, please let me know!!!

Thanks!!

Barbnocity

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he would love Usborne young puzzle books.

I get them at a local non-chain bookstore, but they are also available on Amazon.

Anonymous said...

I haven't actually read this one, but Robert Allen's Secret Codes for Kids looks promising.

Barbnocity said...

Hi, Colleen...thanks for the suggestions...I will google them tonight!!

Barb :)

Anonymous said...

Also look for the cool site called CryptoKids. It is not an activity book, but if it is the secret code stuff he likes, they have neat online activities and home craft ideas.

I'm digging into this because this is just the kind of thing Megan enjoys too, and you've inspired me.