Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Fowl Discovery

Tonight I was putting together a quick dinner of leftovers and grilled cheese sandwiches. While I was cutting up some chicken for Simon, he pointed to something and said,

"What's that?"

"A bone," I answered.

"What do you mean, 'A bone'?" he asked.

"A chicken bone."

Looking completely surprised, "Um, do you mean a chicken bone? The animal chicken?"

"Yes, Simon, an animal chicken."

"You mean, that chicken is a chicken????"

"Yes, Simon, this is an animal chicken and we eat it. We eat the meat. Just like when we eat a hamburger, it is cow meat."

"I didn't know we ate animals."

"Do you still want the chicken for dinner?"

"OK...well, no, I think I'll have an apple instead."

Sigh...so anyway...it happened. Simon has finally put two and two together. And his decision to eat an apple instead of his chicken doesn't have me jumping to the conclusion that he is destined to be a vegetarian or anything (which if he chooses to be one, that is fine) but the fact is, the boy eats so LITTLE as it is, I am going to have a hard time if he decides he can't eat the few morsels of meat that he will stomach each week. If he liked beans or peanut butter or some other form of protein, I wouldn't care so much, but he hates almost everything so I hope this new found discovery doesn't decrease his tiny appetite even more.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Hahaha, A FOWL DISCOVERY. That was a great title and I so very much appreciate it.

John said...

You should just give him a live chicken and tell him he has to eat it right then and there. If he won't do it, make him sleep with it until he does.

That's what my parents did with me, and now I can't stop eating animals! I love 'em!

Hawksbill said...

Well... I've been meaning to teach him how to be a real "geek"...

John said...

He'll always have a good career option to fall back on if you do.

Wedgehead said...

hmmm... a quick field trip to an abattoir (i.e., Bovine University) should get him up to speed on the whole 'god gave man dominion over animals' dealy. But then again, animals taste so good... I just don't know...

Housefairy said...

This very type of event made it so very easy for us when Greta was 3 and we becamse vegetarians. We did it for 7+ years and just quit officially this past fall. But I do understand how sick it all is, especailly to childen.